Organic Garden/Homestead Consultation, Design & Assisted Installation
What's do you dream about growing? Let's help you design and build it this year!
Here are some types of gardens to prime your mind...
- Do you dream of establishing an herb garden to spice up your kitchen and make homemade teas?
- How about walking out your door to a beautiful bed of cut flowers for summer arrangements.
- Do you want to compost, but just haven't gotten around to making a system that works for you?
- Maybe you want to start a veggie patch, but you're afraid the native wildlife will mow it down. Or this has happened to you already and you're too discouraged to start again.
- Is there someone in your life who needs access to the outdoors with wheel chair accessibility, easy maintenance, and/or limited skills or mobility?
- Do you have a balcony to plant with pots, a 1/4 acre homestead, or a multi-acre family farm that needs new ideas and life brought to it?
- Do you have children in your life, and you'd like an easy-to-care-for garden?
- Have you wanted to humanely care for chickens, rabbits, bees, or other animals for their company and/or home-grown eggs, meat, honey, manure etc.
- If you're like me, you want to start a homestead that provides diversity for your family with veggies, herbs, flowers, berries, orchards, grape vines, and livestock.
- Would you like to sell products and start your own micro farm?
We would not be here if not for the generations of farmers that came before us. We ALL have come from farmers. Successful farms, had successful families that lived on. We have a desire to be outdoors and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Trace back in your family tree only a few generations, and you're guaranteed to come across someone who passed down their gardening genes to you.
How can we help?
$75 is our fee to schedule a get-to-know you meeting. One or more members of our team will drive to your home and sit down with you for anywhere from 1-3 hours of conversation. You share your dreams, we give you some initial thoughts, and then we think about your property, your needs, and your resources. If something seems unrealistic, we'll be honest and tell you why and give you alternatives.
In 1-2 weeks time, you'll receive is a list of potential projects that relate to your needs and a drafted map showing how they all fit together. You can take these and our conversations and run with it on your own, creating your dream with your own hands. However, maybe you need more help making it happen.
If you'd like our ideas and would like to continue working with us, we'll give you a quote to help you complete all or parts of your dream garden. Here are some services we can offer. With each of these, we can just give you more consultation and education so you can complete it on your own; we can draw up plans, make materials lists, find sources for the materials, and create a budget; we can built products for your project and you install them; or we can build and install and even put plants in your garden.
- If you want to do the project on your own, but want help with material choices, sources for materials, resources for self-education, and/or a budget to complete the projects. We will break down the project so you can complete it faster, use acceptable materials, and know the realistic budget.
- We have worked with many seed and plant companies. We know the ones that offer inexpensive dead plants, those that are overpriced, and best of all - well priced sources of quality plants.
- Maybe you're not too handy and just need someone to make raised beds for your home. We can make quality frames for you. Then you can install them, we can install them, or we can install and plant them for you.
- Compost/vermicompost systems design and/or products and installation - We know how to make things break down into beautiful black gold. If you just need rescues, we can teach you the processes involved and let you go. We can plant/budget and/or build/install composting systems for your needs.
- Setting up a custom grow-light system in your basement, garage, etc.
I've started many gardens from scratch, all using organic practices. My earliest memories are in the garden picking asparagus and berries with my parents, being held by my grandfather in his garden, and watching my Pepe smoke his cigar while adding manure to his prized tomato plants. When I was 14, my mother and father handed over the family garden to me to experiment with. I've worked on farms with livestock. As an adult, I've designed my own homestead and market garden.
I'm obsessive about researching
I'm still a "new farmer"; however, I have a lot of insight I can share. I will look at your property with many lenses and take your thoughts into consideration. Ihave become well-versed in
- organic sustainable practices
- soil fertility and management
- ethical livestock husbandry
- permaculture systems
- food forrest design
- design with native ecosystems in mind (watersheds, pollinators, mammals, birds, insects, trees, brambles, vines, fungi and more)
- annual & perennial flowers, herbs, vegetables, and fruits
- raised beds
- garden beds for children and people with disabilities (limited mobility and/or capabilities)
- cover coping
- crop rotations
- manure management
- hand tools and power tools
- digital tools for the farm
- season extension for year-round production
- renewable energies
- greenhouse, high tunnel, low tunnel construction and management
- and the list continues to grow...
Here are some "off" the shelf solutions you can purchase to get you going.
- $300 - Initial consultation, list of potential projects, a draft map of the projects on your property, one 4' x 8' x 11" tall raised bed constructed so you can place, install and plant it with your needs. There will also be a custom planting plan for your raised bed based on your interests that were shared in the consultation.
- $550 - Initial consultation, list of potential projects, a draft map of the projects on your property, one standard top bar hive with an observation window, entrance reducers, feeding frame, comb stand, and a package success kit. After the initial consultation, we'll return with the hive and a follow up one-on-one lesson to help you place your top bar hive on your property. You'll have a mentor to help you start your hive in your homestead.
- $950 - Initial consultation, list of potential projects, a draft map of the projects on your property, and 4 of our 4' x 8' x 11" tall raised beds. After the initial consultation, we'll return with the raised beds and a follow up one-on-one lesson to help you know where to place your raised beds on your property. You'll have mentor to help answer your organic gardening questions. There will also be a custom planting plan for your raised beds based on your interests that were shared in the initial consultation. The garden design will include a detailed timeline to help you plant the 4 beds to maximize your success throughout the year.